World Toilet Day: 72% of Bauchi schools lack basic toilet facilities — CSO

World Toilet Day: 72% of Bauchi schools lack basic toilet facilities — CSO


The Bauchi State Network of Civil Society Organizations (BASNEC) says water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) statistics are alarming and calls on the state government to improve the sector.

Yesterday, BASNEC Chairman, Zingiri Garba, addressed journalists in the 2021 WASH National Outcomes and Routines Mapping Report that “21% of the Bauchi State population still practices open defecation and 72% of the total number of schools. are practicing open defecation.” And 93% of the total number of health facilities and 97% of public places do not have access to basic WASH facilities. ”

Zingiri said 70,000 children under the age of five die each year worldwide from diseases caused by a lack of clean water, proper sanitation and good hygiene services. “These statistics remain alarming as Nigeria remains far from achieving the SDG 6 goal of ensuring universal access to basic life-saving services,” he said.

She said WaterAid Nigeria is working with the Women’s Development Association for Self-Reliance and the Bauchi State Government to scale up sustainable, climate-resilient and gender-responsive WASH solutions to meet other development goals such as: He added that the overall goal is to address key cross-cutting elements of the health, education, poverty, economic growth, nutrition.

“By 2028, our goal is to reach 10,000,000 people directly through basic WASH services and behavioral interventions. Together with key partners, we aim to further impact improvements in basic WASH services.’An additional 17,000,000 people will have access to laundry (water assistance).

“WaterAid is implementing Armani Beauty, L’Oréal Luxe Germany to deliver the Water and Hygiene Promotion Project (WAHPP) in Bauchi State. The project aims to implement the following: Providing access to safe water and hygiene education to 15,000 beneficiaries in the community…”

To commemorate World Toilet Day 2023, WaterAid has partnered with Women’s Development Association (WODASS) to highlight the need to prioritize safe water supply to improve sanitation and end the sanitation crisis. We are investing in the advocacy part of the Amarni project to appeal to people. In particular, the use and construction of adequate toilets to improve the lives of residents of Bauchi State impacts health, education and many other valuable sectors in the state.

Source: guardian.ng

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *