Plastic surgeon whose staff gave18-year-old girl 7-times the necessary amount of anesthesia during breast implant surgery before she died is sentenced to just 15 days in prison

An American plastic surgeon whose teenage patient died during a failed breast augmentation procedure has been sentenced to just 15 days in prison.

Geoffrey Kim, 54, admitted he didn’t call 911 for five hours after then-18-year-old Emmalyn Nguyen turned blue and suffered a heart attack when she was given the necessary anesthesia seven times by nurse Rex Meeker on Aug. 1, 2019.

A jury found Dr. Kim guilty of attempted manslaughter and obstructing a telephone after failing to call for help, but cleared him of the more serious charge; negligent homicide.

The surgeon faced a sentence of up to three years in prison, but was sentenced to just 15 days behind bars, followed by two years on probation.

Kim was ordered to pay $70,000 in fines while completing 120 hours of community service at a facility for those who have suffered brain injuries, according to Arapahoe County Circuit Court records.

Both Kim and Meeker will also have to pay the Nguyen family $1 million each in a wrongful death settlement.

Kim’s defense team blamed anesthesiologist Meeker for Nguyen’s death, claiming he gave her a toxic mix of drugs before surgery, including enough fentanyl to stop her heart, according to the Denver Post.

Meeker initially faced manslaughter charges but dropped them in exchange for testimony at trial, according to 9news.

Last week, he argued that Kim wouldn’t let him call 911 for more than five hours, KDVR reported.

Meeker gave up his license to administer anesthesia but still has his medical license.

Nguyen was brain dead and unable to speak or walk after surgery and died 14 months later.

Her parents, Lynn Fam and Sonny Nguyen, told KDVR in December 2019 that their daughter wanted breast implants to bolster her self-image after graduating high school.

The teenager, who was 18 at the time, saved $6,000 for the surgery and was in good health.

The family’s attorney, David Woodruff, said Emmalyn “has been left unnoticed.” No one watched her for about 15 minutes. A nurse enters the room and finds it blue.

During the more than five hours that Emmalyn lay on the operating table, Woodruff said her mother, Lynn, sat in the waiting room, unaware of her daughter’s condition.

Lynn told the news station that at one point the doctor showed up to tell her she couldn’t check on her daughter.

“She’s fine and she’s young, maybe that’s why it’s taking her longer to wake up,” Lynn said the doctor told her.

Woodruff said when doctors arrived, they used CPR to try to revive Emmalyn, but she did not regain consciousness.

Her brain injury prevented her from talking, walking or feeding herself, so she was placed in a nursing home to receive 24-hour care. She had to be fed through a tube and have an oxygen machine breathing for her.

Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office Investigations Captain Travis Stewart told the New York Post: “The investigation took more than two years to complete and involved dozens of interviews and search warrants.

“Our hope is that this is the beginning of bringing justice and a sense of closure to Emmalyn’s family.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *