Food security: Niger government partners with AFAN on dry season agriculture

Food security: Niger government partners with AFAN on dry season agriculture


The Niger State Government has entered into a Service Level Agreement on Dry Season Agriculture with the All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN) Niger State Chapter to strengthen food security in the state.

The partnership also involves Food Security Systems and Logistics Company Limited.

Governor Muhammad Umar Bago said the development was a milestone in his administration's revolutionary plans for the agricultural sector.

He explained that plans were underway for the state to move from subsistence farming to mechanized farming, adding that soon Niger would no longer be considered a civil service state.

He noted to AFAN that the safety of lives and property remains the government's top priority, and promised to clear agricultural land and all arable land to expel all criminal elements.

The Governor likewise appealed to AFAN's unflinching commitment to the agreement to achieve the desired results.

Under the agreement, AFAN will act as an outgrower of various types of food in dry season agriculture in 2024, while the Niger state government will provide 35,000 farmers with 550,000 hectares of land and produce 3 million tons of It is planned to produce food for

Farmers are also expected to use their own land and water resources, as the state government has provided inputs worth NGN 30 billion.

According to the agreement, the state government would get money back from the produce, with 40% of the profits going to farmers and the government receiving the remaining 60%.

In his speech, Chairman of AFAN Niger State Chapter, Alhaji Shehu Galadima, said, “The agreement signed will make agriculture a business venture and add value to the state economy,” acknowledging Mr. Bago’s foresight in reforming the agricultural sector. was highly rated.

Similarly, the Chairman, Niger Food Security Systems and Logistics Company, Chief Samy Adigun, said the partnership will encourage others to join the agribusiness and tap into the huge wealth that abounds in the state. He said it would be encouraging.

Source: dailypost.ng

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *