Calvert-Lewin sent off as Everton beat Palace in FA Cup | Guardian Nigeria News

Calvert-Lewin sent off as Everton beat Palace in FA Cup | Headline News

Everton's Dominic Calvert-Lewin was controversially sent off during Thursday's FA Cup third-round tie against Crystal Palace as they held out for a 0-0 draw.

Calvert-Lewin was given a red following a VAR review for a stud-up foul on England striker Nathaniel Clyne late in the second half at Selhurst Park.

Calvert-Lewin made a brief contact with Clyne's leg as he won the ball, but Everton manager Sean Dyche was furious at referee Chris Kavanagh's decision after a lengthy VAR check.

Calvert-Lewin's first career red card could have been fatal to Everton's hopes of progressing in the competition.

Despite losing winger Dwight McNeil to a serious injury in the closing stages, Dyche's side fought through nine minutes of stoppage time to force a rematch at Goodison Park in late January.

Five-time FA Cup winners Everton have been searching in vain for another major piece of silverware since they last lifted the trophy in 1995.

Fourth-bottom Everton are locked in a relegation battle from the Premier League after receiving a 10-point penalty for financial violations earlier this season.

An appearance in the FA Cup will be a welcome distraction from their league woes and this spirited display will allow them to dream of a path to Wembley.

Everton won 3-2 at Selhurst Park in the Premier League in November, but having lost their previous three games, they happily settled for avoiding defeat this time.

Everton keeper Joan Virginia, who replaced the rested Jordan Pickford, had to make an early save to deflect Jeffrey Schlupp's half-volley.

Everton hit back with a sharp attack as Calvert-Lewin teed up Arnaud Danjoma and his shot was deflected into the side netting by Chris Richards.

Jack Harrison went close again when he took Danjuma's flick and fired home, but Dean Henderson forced a fine save.

Moments later, Henderson made a save with his feet after James Garner's corner almost went in at the near post.

Schlupp's cross was cleared on the line by Vitaly Mykolenko before Palace's Jefferson Lerma narrowly fired home from the edge of the area.

Eberechi Eze had a chance to break the deadlock early in the second half, but the Palace winger's shot was deflected back by Virginia and Lerma headed home from the resulting corner kick.

Calvert-Lewin has not scored since October, but the Everton striker's lack of confidence was evident when he meekly fired at Henderson from a dangerous position.

Given a golden opportunity, Danjuma was on par with his team-mate, although he missed Henderson's shot.

Calvert-Lewin was given his marching orders in the 79th minute following a controversial foul on Clyne, but Everton stood firm to prevent further damage.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *