Afrobeats singer, Divine Ikubor, popularly known as Rema, has revealed why he called off school to pursue his music career despite gaining admission at UNILAG last year.
He pointed out that after gaining admission at Unilag, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strike crippled it as universities were shut down.
“I gained admission to UNILAG last year, but I moved on because of ASUU strike. Therefore, there are no plans of going to the university, making him weigh his options.
The singer noted that after the one-month strike, he decided he would be calling off school to pursue his music career; therefore, there are no plans of going to the university.
Recall that Rema, via a tweet on his verified page on Twitter, had said his mom still wants him to get a degree despite all he have achieved without one. He also revealed he has earned an admission into UNILAG.
His tweet read: “What if I told y’all I got an admission into UNILAG? Lol Mom said I still need to get a degree sigh, oh well see you guys in class! “
According to the singer, his mum has come to terms with his decision to focus on music fully.
In a recent news Rema has achieved a great feat in the music industry and is recognised at home and abroad. Rema is no doubt taking Nigerian music globally.
The 22-year-old singer was recognised by two of Football’s biggest players, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.
Cristiano Ronaldo took many by surprise as he shared a video of three of his kids dancing to Rema’s song, Calm Down.
The record-breaking footballer shared the video via his Instagram story with his 555 million followers.
Neymar had also taken to his social media page to share a video of him vibing to the singer’s song as he revealed that he was still recovering.
TheNewsGuru.com (TNG) reports that the National Industrial Court (NICN) had adjourned the Federal government suit against ASUU until March 28 for ruling.
The claimants, Federal Government and the Minister of Education, had dragged ASUU before the court in August 2022 over the then strike, for interpretation and application of some Trade Dispute Act.
The matter before the president of the court, Justice Benedict Kanyip, came up on Tuesday for hearing of the defendant’s preliminary objection.
However, when the matter was called, the defence counsel, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, informed the court that his process on Reply on Point of Law could not be filed on Monday at the court’s registry due to internet issue.
He, therefore, sought for the leave of court for a short adjournment.
The judge in response stepped down the matter until 1.00 pm to enable the counsel properly file his process and serve on the claimants’ counsel.
When the court resumed, Falana applied for his motion dated and filed Sept. 19, 2022, seeking for the leave of court for extension and his Reply on Point of Law filed Tuesday to be deemed as properly filed.
He further proceeded to inform the court that his preliminary objection was premised on jurisdiction of the court and he relied on order 3 rule 6 of the TDA to argue that the Minister of Labour and Employment did not follow due process before issuing the referral to the court.
He stated that reconciliation steps were not duly followed and that the Minister could approach the court if parties of a Trade Union could not resolve their differences.
The counsel to FG and Minister of Education, J.U.K Igwe, SAN in response to Falana’s submission, stated that Falana’s reply which he received five minutes before the court’s proceeding was on reply of facts and not on law.
He further stated that all the authorities cited by the counsel did not have any relevance to his application.
Igwe, in addition, stated that the defence counsel should have sought for the leave of court to file a counter-affidavit.
He also said NICN, with its exclusive jurisdiction on industrial matter, had the jurisdiction to entertain the matter.
Igwe stated that the minister did not act out of the ordinary as order 3 rule 6 of the TDA conferred on him the power to refer the matter to NICN.
He added that the matter was also of national interest. He concluded by urging the court to discountenance the defence counsel’s objection.
The judge, therefore, adjourned the matter until March 28 for ruling.
Powered by WPeMatico